Wednesday 2 November 2011

JT Reffell French Memorial Primary School

JT Reffell –

Today we spent the day at a local school called the JT Reffell French Memorial Primary School. It was brilliant. We brought loads of resources to give out to the teachers including a great big parachute like the one we have in school. I got to meet lots and lots of children at the school. They all wanted to give me a cuddle because they don’t have a teddy bear of their own. One girl gave me a big squeezy hug and another put me on her back (like a piggy back) and said: “Look, look Auntie, my baby”. In Africa a lot of the Mums tie their babies onto their back with some cloth and carry them around like this. The babies seem to like it and it means that the Mums can still do their jobs with both hands. We are going to visit St Joseph’s school tomorrow. I am incredibly excited and a little nervous as well.

p.s. In Sierra Leone, the children don’t call Mrs Meally, ‘Mrs Meally’. Instead they call her ‘Auntie Sarah’. They call all their teachers “Auntie!”