Monday 31 October 2011

Arrived in Sierra Leone

After a long flight and some delays in the airport we finally arrived in Sierra Leone. As soon as the doors on the plane opened the hot African air hit me! I had to ask Mrs Meally to loosen the top button on my shirt – it was so warm. To get to Freetown (where we are staying), we had to get a boat across a narrow little strip of water. This was great fun. The boat was so small and close to the water that I got splashed loads! The kind men from the British Military training centre (where we are staying) met us at the port. There were also lots of Sierra Leonean friends their to welcome us all and give us a hug! It was lovely to be welcomed so warmly tonight… I am very excited about tomorrow as we are going to visit a very poor area in Freetown called ‘Congo Town’. The houses here are mainly made from wood and tin and are very close together but the children have some of the biggest smiles in Africa!